A professional athlete contend individually or as part of a team in structured sports including football, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, running, skiing, hockey, rugby, gymnastics, figure skating and baseball. An athlete practices and trains regularly to improve their skills and performance. Very few athletes actually make it to the professional level.
The number of jobs available for athletes and sports competitors
including professional athletes
is expected to increase as fast as the average in the coming years and competition for professional positions will be extremely fierce. Professional sports athletes must be among the best performers at their chosen sports to remain employed
and they often have brief careers. There is also the potential for a serious career-ending injury at any time.
Top Colleges In India
• BOMBAY PHYSICAL CULTURE ASSOCIATIONS COLLEGE OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Address: Road Number 37, Sahakar Nagar, Matunga East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400031
Phone: 022 2416 8609
Courses to be pursued
- Doctor - Education: Sports Management
- PhD - Education: Sports Management
- Master - Education: Athletic Coaching
- Master - Education: Sports Management
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- Education Specialist - Sports Management
• Expect to work when the public has time to watch sports, for example, weekends and holidays.
• Your schedule will be unbalanced. Athletes train, travel and compete extensively during the season for their sport but have a lot of downtime at other times of the year. For example, baseball players are very busy between March, when Spring Training begins, and October, when the Major League season ends.
• Professional athletes can sustain injuries that will end their careers. You should have an alternative career to fall back on.
• Interpersonal Skills: Athletes must work well as members of a team
particularly those whose sport involves doing that • Concentration: A strong ability to concentrate is essential • Decision Making: Athletes must be able to make decisions in an instant while on the field or court. • Hand-Eye Coordination • Physical Stamina
• A high school diploma or equivalent, no formal educational credential is required to enter the occupation • No academic requirements for professional athletes • Simply need natural talent, determination, strength, fitness, technique and self-discipline