Biomedical researchers investigate how the human body works with the aim of finding new ways to improve health. Biomedical research has likely produced large returns to society per researcher in the past; we expect it to continue to be a high-impact area in the future; and it appears to be constrained by good researchers. Its drawbacks are that it takes a long time to train, has high drop-out rates and leaves you relatively fixed in the biomedical field.
The NHS is one of the main employers of biomedical scientists. Work is generally carried out in clinical pathology laboratories and regional laboratories. You could also work for NHS Blood and Transplant or Public Health England or in pathology and research laboratories in private sector hospitals.
Other employers include:
• Food Standards Agency
• Forensic laboratories
• Government departments
• Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
• HM armed forces
• Medical Research Council (MRC)
• Some manufacturing firms
especially those producing pharmaceutical products
• Class 10th Pass • Class 10+2 with Science Stream
• Practical laboratory skills and manual dexterity • Analytical skills • Patience and the ability to work accurately and efficiently • The ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines • A willingness to accept responsibility and use common sense • Flexibility and the ability to work with a range of equipment and techniques • Communication and team working skills • The ability to work under pressure while maintaining standards of service • The ability to work alone or under instruction • IT skills
Courses to be pursued
• B.S. in Biological Sciences
• M.S. in Biological Sciences
• Ph.D. in related field
Address: Lila Ram Market Near by South Extension part 2, Guneet Kashyap Marg Road, Block A, South Extension II, New Delhi, Delhi 110049
Phone: 098997 87975
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
Address: Hauz Khas, New Delhi, Delhi 110016
Phone: 011 2659 7135
You will generally do a standard 37.5 hours per week. A flexible approach to work is essential to cover weekend and bank holiday working. Shift work covering out-of-ours work may be required in some posts.
Some opportunities exist for part-time work or job sharing. Self-employment is unlikely as it is rarely possible to set up an independent laboratory.
Deloitte Consulting India Pvt Ltd
Address: Fairmont, Level 2 High Street Hiranandani Business Park, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400076
Phone: 022 6113 7000
Address: A-4/45, 1st Floor, Above United Fashion, Paschim Vihar, New Delhi – 110063
Shruthi was president of Phi Eta Sigma; President of the Society of Women Engineers; President of Tau Beta Pi; and President of Omicron Delta Kappa. Most recently, the Newark College of Engineering gave her the Madame Mau Outstanding Female Engineering Award.
Y.C. Fung joined UCSD in 1966 to initiate a B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. program in bioengineering. Fung is the recipient of the President’s National Medal of Science, the Founder’s Award from the National Academy of Engineering and numerous other prestigious honors and prizes.