Construction Management is a professional service that makes use of specialized, project management techniques to oversee the planning, design and construction of a project from its very beginning to the end. The purpose or aim of CM is to control a project’s time, cost and quality.
Jobs directly related for the field of construction management include:
• Building control surveyor
• Building services engineer
• Building surveyor
• Facilities manager
• Quantity surveyor
• Site engineer
• Sustainability consultant
• Skills in logical thinking
numeracy and computing; • The ability to deal with both complex technical detail and the wider demands of a project; • Teamwork and communication skills; • Awareness of issues when planning and managing construction projects; • An understanding of health and safety; • An understanding of effective leadership skills and management of employees; • Areas of technical expertise and interest.
Courses to be pursued
• Certificate in Construction Contract Management
• Certificate in Construction Business Management
• Certificate in Construction Quality Management
• Diploma in Construction Management
• Post Graduate Program in Construction Management
• Post Graduate Program in Advanced Construction Management
• Post Graduate Diploma in Construction Management for Working Executives
• MBA (Construction Management)
Most of the construction managers work full time. Though, the need to meet deadlines and to respond to delays and emergencies often requires construction managers to work many hours. Many construction managers may also be on call 24 hours a day.
She is the Vice President of Tri-North Builders which is a construction management company headquartered in Fitchburg, Wis.
She is the co-owner of Sandy Spring Builders which is a custom homebuilder in Washington, D.C.