Public Relations Manager
Public relations (PR) managers are concerned with helping a company, organisation or government agency maintain a positive public image. This may be done using different forms of media to convey a positive message to a target audience.
Opportunities for public relations managers exist in:
• Public Relations Firms
• Universities and colleges
• Large businesses or corporations
• Government Agencies
Bachelor's or master's degree in public relations, journalism or communications
•Must be a confident communicator and presenter •Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills •Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills •Have a full understanding of media needs and media relationships •Be proactive
responsible and accurate with an attention to detail •Possess the ability to keep information confidential •Tactical understanding of all primary social media platforms •Ability to work in high-stress environments
often for long hours •A wide degree of creativity and latitude •Self motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
Courses to be pursued
1. Professionals can seek voluntary PR certification and accreditation through groups like the Public Relations Society of America and the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC). The Public Relations Society of America requires members to pass a comprehensive exam and have five years of experience before becoming accredited. The IABC also requires an examination and several years of experience before seeking accreditation.
2. Public relations specialists can also seek a master's degree in business
communications or journalism. A master's degree allows PR specialists to pursue senior PR and marketing positions or self-employment as a PR consultant.
3. Post-graduate diploma programmes in Advertising and Public Relations
4. Diploma in Public Relations and Marketing
5. Diploma in Public Relations
Media and Event Management
6. Diploma in Public Relations and Corporate Communication
7. Certificate course in Public Speaking and Personality Enhancement
Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Delhi
Add: JNU New Campus, Aruna Asif Ali Road, New Delhi, Delhi 110075
YMCA Institute for Media Studies & Information Technology, Delhi
St Xavier's Institute of Communications, Mumbai
Add: 5, Mahapalika Marg, Dhobi Talao, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Area, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001
Public relations managers usually have offices close to the top executives of the organization. PR firms, regardless of size, maintain attractive offices, as they are often the meeting ground for visitors such as media representatives and the public.
Long hours, business dinners, press luncheons, and weekend or evening meetings are not uncommon in this line of work. Public relations managers must work well under pressure. Travel may be required to meet with the public, clients, special interest groups, or government officials.
2nd floor, TDI Centre, Plot No. 7, Jasola, New Delhi, Delhi
Phone: 011 4061 2000
4th floor, Chimes 61, Service Road, Sector 44, Gurugram, Haryana 122002
Phone: 0124 441 7501
257, Okhla Industrial Estate Phase
III, New Delhi 110020
Tel: 011 40565100
Kelly Bush, Founder & CEO, ID PR
Bush took on actor Paul Reubens as a client and led the effort to revive his career by pushing him to resurrect his Pee-wee Herman persona for a 2007 appearance on Spike TV.
Howard Bragman, Founder, Fifteen Minutes PR
With over 30 years of PR experience, Bragman now serves as an ABC News Consultant for "Good Morning America," is the resident Public Relations Expert for "Entertainment Tonight," resident Spin Doctor for HLN's "Showbiz Tonight" and was a frequent contributor to "The Joy Behar Show."