An athlete is a person who is involved in sports which require physical strength, speed and endurance. They compete in various competitions and matches. They have well developed physique which is formed by physical training and an athlete can be professional as well as amateur.
- The number of jobs available for athletes and sports competitors including professional athletes is expected to increase as fast as the average in the coming years and competition for professional positions will be extremely fierce.
- Professional sports athletes must be among the best performers at their chosen sports to remain employed and they often have brief careers.
- There is also the potential for a serious career-ending injury at any time.
- A high school diploma or equivalent, no formal educational credential is required to enter the occupation - No academic requirements for professional athletes - Simply need natural talent, determination, strength, fitness, technique and self-discipline
- Passion - Confidence - Interpersonal Skills - Good Decision Making - Empathy - Attentive to Detail
Courses to be pursued
- Sports Management - PhD
- Sports Management - Master
- Athletic Coaching - Master
- Sports Management - Master of Science in Organizational Leadership
- Health Care Administration
- Certificates - Education Specialist - Sports Management
Tamil Nadu Physical Education And Sports University
Address: Melakottaiyur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600127
Phone: 044 2747 7906
Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education & Sports Sciences
Address: B-Block, Vikaspuri, Delhi 110018
Phone: 011 2854 4497
Professional athletes have to work irregular hours which includes evenings, weekends or holidays. While their sports season they have to work 40 hours a week for several months. Due to playing outdoor games, they have to tolerate every type of weather.
Sports Authority of India
Address: Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Complex (East Gate), Lodhi Road, Delhi 110003
Phone: 011 2436 5016
Athletics Federation of India
Address: WZ-114G, First Floor, Toda Pur Village, Toda Pur Main Road, Dev Prakash Shastri Marg, Delhi 110012
Phone: 011 2584 5421
Saina Nehwal is a professional badminton singles player from India. She has been the former World No.1 badminton champion and is ranked 18th as the most charitable athletes.
Abhinav Bindra is a retired professional shooter from India who is also the former World and Olympic champion in the ten metre rifle event in shooting. He is the only Indian to have held the title of both Olympic and World champions at the same time.