Sound engineers are also known as audio engineers. They are known to work on the technical aspects of sound and music production. This is done by mixing, reproducing and manipulating the equalization and electronic effects of sound. It's a highly creative hobby and profession where one gets the exposure to work on musical instruments and technology. The technology that are used to produce sound for film, radio, television, music and video games.
- Motion Picture and Video Industries
- Sound Recording Industries
- Radio and Television Broadcasting and Performing Arts Companies
- Gaming Industry
- App development
For UG: Candidates who have passed 10+2 in physics, chemistry and mathematics as compulsory subjects can pursue bachelors in Sound Engineering. - For PG: Candidates who have passed bachelor's degree in Sound Engineering are eligible to pursue Sound Engineering in master and doctoral level at Indian and foreign universities.
- Interest in all aspects of sound recording
production and performance - Good hearing and an ear for detail - Interest in the science of sound production - Problem solving skills - Ability to work under pressure
Courses to be pursued
- Certificate course in sound and audio engineering
- Sound recording/engineering education is usually offered as a three-year diploma course to graduates
- Bachelor's degree in Sound Engineering
- Certificate in Recording and Audio Engineering
- Certificate in Audio Technology
- Certificate in Audio Production Technology
- Diploma course: Diploma in Recording Arts (Audio Engineering) is a one-year full-time course in Audio Engineering with the eligibility of 10th or equivalent exam.
- Bachelor course: Students can pursue the bachelor degree in Sound Engineering with the eligibility of 10+2 with PCM subjects.
- Master Course: After bachelor’s degree in Sound Engineering
Address: Kharagpur, West Bengal 721302
Film and Television Institute of India
Address: No.11, Telephone Exchange,
Law College Road, Deccan Gymkhana,
Pune, Maharashtra 411004
Phone: 020 2543 3016
Broadcast and sound engineering technicians and radio operators generally work indoors in pleasant surroundings. However, they may be required to work for long hours including late nights and on weekends. Specially, when they are responsible for setting up, monitoring and then packing down the sound equipment at concerts and other live performances. Sound technicians' work can also involve heavy lifting and the co-ordination of other technical crew.
Address: D45, Sector - 2, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201301
Phone: 0120 393 5935
Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited
Address: 18th Floor, A - Wing, Marathon Futurex, Lower Parel, Mumbai, India
Phone: +91 22 7106 123
Ashish Manchanda is a well known recording engineer. He works as a music producer too. He is a recognized entertainment business entrepreneur. The person is known primarily for his work in association with Bollywood. He is also the founder of the music & av media production house "Flying Carpet Productions".
H. Sridhar (Sridhar Hariharan/H.Padmanabh)
H. Sridhar who is popularly known as a Hariharan was a sound engineer from India and known for his work with the famous Musician A. R Rahman. He is known as “Mozart of Madras.” Sridhar was the Chief Audio Engineer at Media Artists Chennai. Though he was a mathematics graduate but he had a keen interest in music and he began his musical career in 1988.