On the occasion of 71st Republic Day on 26th January 2020, MC Mary Kom was honored with the “Padma Vibhushan Award” (the country's second highest Civilian Award) from the Indian Government. Out of seven eminent personalities to be awarded, she is the one to receive the Padma Vibhushan this year.
Mary Kom, a six-time World Champion, informed reporters that it is a dream to win the Bharat Ratna. She will now be inspired to do even better with the thought that she can win the Bharat Ratna, this thought came after winning Padma Vibhushan.
Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom is an Indian Olympic boxer and obligatory Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha. Earlier she won a silver medal at the 2008 Asian Women's Boxing Championship in India and a fourth successive Gold medal at the AIBA Women's World Boxing Championship in China.
Kom won in Kazakhstan, and at the in Barbados, her fifth consecutive gold at the Championship in 2011, in China.
Some of her achievements-
1. In 2010, she won
- At the Asian Women's Boxing Championships, she won gold medal
-AIBA Women's World Boxing Championship
-Asian Games, won a bronze medal
- Gold at the Asian Women's Cup
2. In 2014, she won her first Gold Medal at the Asian games
3. In 2017, she secured an outstanding fifth gold medal at the ASBC Asian Confederation women's boxing championships.
4. In 2018, she created history by becoming the first woman to win 6 World Championships, achieving this feat at the 10th AIBA Women's World Boxing Championships held.
5. In 2019, International Olympic Committee (IOC) named her as a female representative of boxing's athlete ambassadors group for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
By: Suvarna Gupta