Ancient Sports In India
Editorials News | Dec-27-2019
There are several sports which have its origin from our native place and since ancient times, games have always been played in India for the recreation and mental and physical fitness. From indoor games to outdoor sports, there are some of them which are now being played internationally. Here is the amazing history behind some of these games.
Chess was earlier devised in India, and was regarded as Ashtapada that means 64 squares. Unlike how the type of game is played today, it was used to be played with a dice on a checkered board, but without those black and white squares. After few years, the game was called Chaturanga (quadripartite).
A strike-and-pocket table game which is famous throughout South Asia and in a few Middle-Eastern countries, carrom is said to have originated in the Indian subcontinent.
Ludo is another board game that we all have played at least once in our childhood. Earlier in our country it was called Pachisi, and the board was formed out of cloth or jute. There is also a depiction of Pachisi found in the caves of Ajanta in the state of Maharashtra.
Though ancient polo has found its origin in Central Asia, it was earlier Manipur in India that had set the foundation for modern polo.
By: Prerana Sharma
- The History & Culture Of Indigenous Peoples
- Motivation Boosting
- Permission to Unplug: The Health Benefits of Yoga for Kids
- The Cultural Significance of Diwali: A Festival of Lights
- The Legacy of Steve Jobs
- Personality and Resilience: Coping with Adversity
- Benefits Of Writing Journals
- Gadgets for Productivity: Tools for Students
- Trade And Cultural Exchange Across Continents