Learn About India – Maldives Relations
Editorials News | Feb-19-2021
In November 2020, four Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) were signed by India-Maldives. The latest MoUs consists of India’s 500 million USD package for GMCP which is Greater Male Connectivity Project. Below are the mentions about the four MoUs which are signed between the two countries:
• Two MoUs are signed for the projects on high-impact community development.
• One MoU is signed on sports and youth affairs’ cooperation between the two countries.
• The last one is signed for the grant of 100 million USD which is a part of India’s 500 million USD package for the Greater Male Connectivity Project.
Now let’s understand about Greater Male Connectivity Project below:
GMCP is the largest civilian infrastructure project in the Maldives. This project will offer connectivity of the Maldives’ capital Male with three islands known as Villingili, Gulhifalhu, and Thilafushi.
A number of bilateral visits happened between the two countries. The Home Ministers of both the nations discussed security and law enforcement cooperation in February 2020. The Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a visit to the Maldives in 2018 to attend the swearing-in ceremony of the newly elected Maldives President, Mohamed Solih. Maldives President Solih also made a visit to India in 2018 where the Maldives reaffirmed its policy on India-first.
There was an economic slowdown post-COVID-19 pandemic in the Maldives. India committed a 500 million USD package to support the Maldives. The package consists of air, sea, intra-island, and telecommunications. A direct cargo ferry service will run between the two nations to promote import and export to and fro from Maldives and India. Both nations will operationalize the air bubble to transport people from both countries for employment, tourism, medical emergencies, etc. The Maldives became the first nation with which India has put in operation a travel bubble. India also provided additional financial aid of 250 million USD to the Maldives.
By: Kiara Sharma
Mahaveer Public School
- English Language as a Subject
- Gender Disparity is Another Section of Digital Divide
- Camouflage Mechanism In Animals
- Arrival of Mahatma Gandhi in India
- Role of Expert in Amateur’s Life
- Creativity Is a Process, Not an Event
- Music Could Be a Forever Friend
- Should Reading Literature Be Made Compulsory?
- Is Green Tea Good for One’s Health?
- The Secret behind Japanese Living a Healthy Life