Sharmila, The Iron Lady To Break Her 16 Year Fast
Editorials News | Jul-27-2016
The iron lady of Manipur, Irom Chanu Sharmila, who started fasting in 2000 against the special forces of AFSPA, decides to break her fast. She announced on Tuesday, she will end her fast on 9th August and will contest assembly elections in Manipur next year.
The lady was being fed forcibly through a nasal tube all these years, and faced trial for attempting suicide. “I have decided to change my strategy against AFSPA,” she said in Imphal. “I will contest next year's assembly election. My primary agenda will be the same: scrapping of the oppressive act. I want to see my wish fulfilled while I'm still alive. I would like to get married and start a new life,” she added.
Politicians and civil rights activists came out in her support. Congress MLA N.Biren Singh said, “Fighting politically for any cause is a good decision. I appreciate it.”
On November 2000, The Assam Rifles Military Forces shot and killed 10 innocent civilians at a bus stop in a small town called Malom. This incident known as the Malom massacre triggered Sharmila to go on a hunger strike against AFSPA.
- Responsibilities Distribution in Iron Age
- How to Study for Exams with Limited Time?
- 7 Best Self-Management Skills - Learn to Manage Yourself
- How Active Listening Boosts Your Performance?
- Virus: Were They Ever Alive?
- Games As A Part Of Daily Living
- What Is Self-Management and How Can You Improve It?
- Pros and Cons of taking Online Courses
- What is Cloning?
- How to Overcome Distractions while Studying Online?