Social work is broadly defined professions that deal with working with individuals, families, communities, groups of marginalized people. A social worker works to enhance the living and social functioning and well being of a society. It encompasses many areas like helping children from the economically weaker section of the society, working with people with physical and mental disabilities, social stigma, and life threatening diseases, drug addiction, education and many more. The main aim of social work is to bring about a balance and dignity of life.
- - Social workers can get absorbed in settings like hospitals
- - nursing homes
- - assisting in mental health agencies
- - children welfare and education
- - adult literacy programs. The avenue is quite extensive.
- - Minimum Qualification 10+2
- - Strong people skills - Compassion - Organizational - Time-management - Problem-solving - communication
Courses to be pursued
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) a three year degree course followed by Master of Social Work (MSW) or MA in Social Work. PhD in Social Work. One can also specialize in the various subjects that are available
- like Human Resource Management
- Personnel Management
- Criminology & Correction Administration
- Family & Child Welfare
- Urban and Rural Community Development
- Industrial Relation & Labor Welfare etc. Social Work has a very wide spectrum with lot of scope for learning.
- Department of Social Work-University of Delhi Address: 3, University Road, Delhi- 110007 Phone no.: 27667881 Website: www.tiss.edu/
ehavioral Management Aide, Case Management Aide, Community Outreach Worker, Juvenile court Liaison, Probation officer, Rehabilitation Case Work, Human Services Specialist, Child Welfare Social Worker, Medical Social Worker, School Counselors, Community Program Administrator, Substance Abuse Counselor, and School Social Worker. The list is quite extensive.
- British Association of Social Workers Address: 37 Waterloo St, Birmingham B2 5PP, UK Phone no.: +44 121 622 3911 Website: https://www.basw.co.uk/