Peanut or Groundnut, a legume more than a nut, packed with lots of health benefits is a much loved snack all over the world. Crunchy and delicious this popular oilseed has been consumed by humankind since centuries. There are several uses of this nut such as Peanut oil, widely used in cooking for its high smoke point. Peanut butter widely used as a spread, Peanut flour, Boiled peanuts as well as dry roasted ones.
Peanuts are a good source of energy. It has good fiber and protein content. It is enriched with Vitamin E, Vitamin B6 and riboflavin, minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
Sadly there is a big percentage of population particularly kids who are allergic to peanuts. People who are allergic can break into hives, itchy skin, runny nose, and in severe cases it causes swelling of the throat or even lead to anaphylaxis.
However, California based Aimmune Therapeutics said the first treatment to prevent severe allergic reactions may be on its way. They conducted a study on nearly 500 kids from the age of 4 to 17 with severe allergy to peanuts. These kids were given daily dose of peanut powder concealed in a capsule or sprinkled over food which was a way of gradually getting them accustomed to very small amounts. As a result of this study as per Aimmune Therapy report, 67 percent of the kids were able to tolerate the equivalent of two peanuts.
Who doesn’t love peanuts? Either we eat them raw or spread peanut butter lovingly on our bread. However, the unfortunate part is that peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of severe allergy attacks. People who are prone to peanut allergy, it is strictly recommended that they keep away from peanuts and related products as sometimes allergy symptoms can be life-threatening (anaphylaxis). It has also been observed in recent times that peanut allergy is becoming more common amongst children. Keeping this factor in mind, even if your child has had only a mild allergic reaction to peanuts, it is important that you consult a good physician. The reaction may seem mild and benign in the beginning but there is all possibility of it developing into something serious with passing years.
An allergic response to peanut or peanut related products usually occur within a short period of time. Peanut allergy signs and symptoms can include:
Runny or watery nose
Tightening of the throat
Difficulty in breathing
Skin irritation, swelling and redness
Digestive problems like loose motion, cramps, nausea, vomiting, etc.
A serious consequence of peanut allergy is food-induced anaphylaxis, a medical emergency that requires treatment with an epinephrine (adrenaline) injector and usually a trip to the hospital emergency room. Common symptoms of anaphylaxis include rapid pulse, constriction of airways owing to swelling of throat, rapid drop in blood pressure, vertigo, dizziness and loss of consciousness among others.
There is no definite treatment for peanut allergy. Oral immunotherapy (desensitization), where children are given peanut in small amount so that they develop a gradual resistance to it is still in its initial stage. Till something concrete comes out, it is best to avoid peanut and items containing peanut.
The reviews are yet to be studied by independent experts. However, these should not be tried at home.
By: Madhuchanda Saxena