Basketball is a sport that is played on a rectangular court. The objective of the players is to shoot a ball through a basket whose diameter is 18 inches and height is 10 feet.
It is mounted to a backboard at each end of the Basketball court. Players have to outscore their opponent and get a higher field goal percentage applying the right technique. Six basketball scoring shots that are commonly used worldwide are:
1. Layup- Layup is a shot in which at first one side is picked either the left or the right and run towards the basket. It is attempted to score by throwing the ball at the top corner of the backboard.
2. Jump shot- While facing the basket for a jump shot, it is required to take a wide stance, bend the knees and square the shoulders to achieve balance. Fluid explosive upward leap is made to shot the ball. There is role of momentum and spin.
3. Free throw- A balance is maintained by finding the nail or dot in the middle of the free throw line. The elbow on player’s shooting hand must be lined up.
4. Slam dunk- It is the toughest feats in basketball as more effort is required to touch the rim with both hands.
5. Bank shot and Hook shot are also very famous shots.
By: Anita Aishvarya