Education News | Aug-23-2020
What is a volcano?
A volcano is an opening in the earth’s crust through which molten lava, volcanic ash and gases escape. The pressure caused by the dissolved gases make such molten material erupt. Few examples of volcanoes include Mt. Fuji in Japan, Mayon volcano in Philippines. There are mainly three types of volcanoes classified on the basis of their volcanic activity.
- Active volcano
- Dormant volcano
- Extinct volcano
Active volcano: An active volcano is a type of volcano which is active in its eruption and has erupted at least once in past 10,000 years. Examples of such volcanoes include Mount Merapi (Indonesia), Santa Maria (Guatemala), Taal volcano (Philippines) etc.
Dormant volcano: Dormant volcanoes are often know as sudden volcanoes which haven’t erupted recently in the past but might erupt anytime in the future. Examples of such volcanoes include Maurna Kea (Hawaii), Mt. Kilimanjaro (Tanzania), Mt. Fuji (Japan) etc.
Extinct volcano: Extinct volcanoes are types of volcanoes which have not erupted since a very long period of time. Such volcanoes are often called as dead volcanoes because they no longer have lava supply. Examples of such volcanoes include Mt. Etna (Italy), Mt. Thielsen (Oregon), Mt. Kulal (Kenya) etc.
Which is the biggest volcano in the solar system?
Olympus Mons is considered to be the biggest volcano in the complete solar system. It’s diameter is around 624km. This volcano is located in planet Mars. It is a shield volcano and the last time this volcano erupted was 25 million years ago. This volcano was discovered by astrologers in the 19th century.
Which is the biggest volcano on Earth 🌎?
Mauna Kea is the biggest volcano on the earth. It is located in Hawaii. It has erupted 33 times since 1843. It is also the highest peak in the Hawaiian Islands. It has the diameter of 1.5km and a height of hundreds of meters. Some part of this volcano is located under water.
Preventions from volcanic eruption-
- Ø Protect yourself from falling ash.
- Ø Do not drive during heavy ash fall.
- Ø Close doors and windows.
- Ø Close gas stoves and most of the electronic devices.
By: Toshani Mehra
- The Impact Of Climate Change On Wildlife
- The Importance Of Physical Literacy In Modern Education
- The Silk Road: Traders Of The Ancient World
- The Role Of Drama Education In Developing Empathy & Social Skills
- Trade Tariffs & Economic Sanction
- Education Reforms In A Post-Pandemic World
- Modernization & Noise Pollution
- 3D Eye Scans Spot Early Parkinson’s Disease Sign
- The Role Of Virtual Reality In Enhancing Science Education
- Teaching Students About Student Loans & Debt Management