10 Fascinating Facts About The Ancient Olympic Games
Editorials News | Sep-30-2018
Olympics have always had utter respect all around the world. With just a few days left for another Olympics tournament, let's look at some of the fascinating facts about the game.
- There is no consensus on how and when the games actually originated.
- In Ancient Greece, Olympics were considered to be one of the two central rituals.
- The site of Ancient Olympics is where Statue of Zeus and one of the seven ancient wonders of the world were housed in a temple at Olympia.
- The only that took place at first Olympics was Stadion race - a race of 190 metres.
- Racer started in fully erect position with their arms stretched out - unlike today.
- The winner of the first games was a baker from Eleia.
- The tradition of athletic nudity started in 720 BC.
- During the games, Greece had to be under truce. There were no wars, capital punishment, battles etc.
- Earlier, the game lasted for 5 days. The first three were for sporting events and other two were for rituals and celebration.
- As part of move towards Christianity, the games were suppressed in either AD 393 or AD 495. Then, it did not return till 1896.
By: Neha Maheshwari
- The Smartest Animal In The World
- A Stitch in Time Saves Nine
- Mobile Games That Got Popular in 2020
- Animal Powers
- English Language as a Subject
- Gender Disparity is Another Section of Digital Divide
- Camouflage Mechanism In Animals
- Arrival of Mahatma Gandhi in India
- Role of Expert in Amateur’s Life