10 Fascinating Facts About The Ancient Olympic Games
Editorials News | Sep-30-2018
Olympics have always had utter respect all around the world. With just a few days left for another Olympics tournament, let's look at some of the fascinating facts about the game.
- There is no consensus on how and when the games actually originated.
- In Ancient Greece, Olympics were considered to be one of the two central rituals.
- The site of Ancient Olympics is where Statue of Zeus and one of the seven ancient wonders of the world were housed in a temple at Olympia.
- The only that took place at first Olympics was Stadion race - a race of 190 metres.
- Racer started in fully erect position with their arms stretched out - unlike today.
- The winner of the first games was a baker from Eleia.
- The tradition of athletic nudity started in 720 BC.
- During the games, Greece had to be under truce. There were no wars, capital punishment, battles etc.
- Earlier, the game lasted for 5 days. The first three were for sporting events and other two were for rituals and celebration.
- As part of move towards Christianity, the games were suppressed in either AD 393 or AD 495. Then, it did not return till 1896.
By: Neha Maheshwari
- Age Well, Think Well: Nurturing Brain Health as We Age
- Mood Matters: Insights into Mood Disorders and Treatment
- Exploring the Relationship between Diet, Nutrients, and Immune Function
- Exploring the Fascinating World of Plant Science
- Examining Its Effects on Global Development
- Strategies for Encouraging Political Participation and Activism
- Art Market Trends: Analysis of Auctions, Galleries, and Collectors
- Examining Themes of Existence, Freedom, and Absurdity
- Legal Implications, Digital Citizenship, and Responsible Online Behavior
- Cultural Impact of Major Sporting Events: Case Studies and Analysis
Most popular news
- The Law Of Equivalent Exchange
- Essay On Issues And Challenges Of Rural Development In India
- Srinivasa Ramanujan And His Inventions
- The Youth Is The Hope Of Our Future!
- Poverty In India: Facts, Causes, Effects And Solutions
- Top 20 Outdoor Games In India
- Festivals Of India: Unity In Diversity
- Role Of Women In Society
- The Impact Of Peer Pressure On Students' Academic Performance
- Books As Companion