Addressing Hunger through Strategic Intervention
Editorials News | Dec-01-2017
Climate change poses a great threat to the world’s food supplies. Poverty and hunger are the most common consequences of climate change. These lead to malnutrition and food insecurity. The various dimensions of food security and nutrition that are affected by climate change are- food availability, food access, food utilization, and food stability. As a result, an understanding of climate context, particularly rainfall patterns, has become crucial in eradication of food insecurity.
A new research has put forward an analysis describing the relationship between food insecurity among smallholder farms in Africa and Asia, rainfall patterns and a range of interventions. The research has gathered the experiences of approximately 2,000 smallholder farms in about 12 countries in West Africa, East Africa and Asia. The research found that the drier farms suffered the highest food insecurity followed by the average farms and the wetter farms respectively in the research year.
It highlights the important role played by micro financing strategies by way of (i) financial supports such as cash, loans; (ii) agricultural inputs and practices such as use of fertilizers, pesticides, veterinary medicines, and livestock in increasing food security in Africa and Asia. The research cautions that these strategies may not be universally applicable to smallholder farms. Hence, the application of appropriate strategic interventions is crucial in reducing the threat posed by food insecurity.
By: Anuja Arora
- Aging Minds: Navigating the Complexity of Brain Aging
- Exploring the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases
- Age Well, Think Well: Nurturing Brain Health as We Age
- Mood Matters: Insights into Mood Disorders and Treatment
- Exploring the Relationship between Diet, Nutrients, and Immune Function
- Exploring the Fascinating World of Plant Science
- Examining Its Effects on Global Development
- Strategies for Encouraging Political Participation and Activism
- Art Market Trends: Analysis of Auctions, Galleries, and Collectors
- Examining Themes of Existence, Freedom, and Absurdity
Most popular news
- The Law Of Equivalent Exchange
- Essay On Issues And Challenges Of Rural Development In India
- Srinivasa Ramanujan And His Inventions
- The Youth Is The Hope Of Our Future!
- Poverty In India: Facts, Causes, Effects And Solutions
- Top 20 Outdoor Games In India
- Festivals Of India: Unity In Diversity
- Role Of Women In Society
- The Impact Of Peer Pressure On Students' Academic Performance
- Books As Companion