Economic Importance Of Gymnosperms
Editorials News | May-04-2022
All the plants in the world are part of the plant kingdom. This vast Kingdom can be divided into 5 subtypes which are: Thellophytes, Bryophytes, Pteridophytes, Gymnosperms, and Angiosperms. Among these the 4th division "Gymnosperms", which is derived from the Greek word meaning 'seed without cover or the fruit', has huge importance. The gymnosperms apart from their characteristics also have special economic importance and are very significant for the economy.
Some gymnosperms have an ornamental value which means they are grown as ornamental plants like Cycas while some Gymnosperms have a great food value, industrial value, and medicinal value and there are still many other gymnosperms used in numerous Industries with various functions. Let us briefly see the value of Gymnosperms in the below-discussed sections:
1) Food Value- Many Gymnosperms like 'Sago' are used to obtain starch from the pith and cortex of the stem. The starch extracted is prepared into flour and cooked before eating. Some Gymnosperms seeds are even edible and the leaves can be cooked as vegetables.
2) Medicinal Value- Many Gymnosperms like "Ephedra" are used in medical treatments and used to cure diseases by extracting an alkaloid called "Ephedrine" which can treat diseases like Asthma, Cold, Cough, and many more. The tincture of Ephedra Gymnosperm can be used as a cardiac stimulant. Juice from some other Gymnosperms can be used for curing blood vomiting.
3) Industrial Value- Some Gymnosperms are used to make adhesives like gum and for making antidote to snake bites. These are also used in the leather industry and also as a mounting medium in biological preparations. The wood obtained from "Pinus Gymnosperm" is used to make furniture and paper. Plywood is also prepared by using a certain kind of Gymnosperm and some Gymnosperms' leaves can be employed on mats, baskets, brooms, etc. Mattresses are also made from fabrics obtained from leaves of Gymnosperms.
Hence, the Gymnosperms contribute largely to the economy and have huge "Economic Importance".
- The History & Culture Of Indigenous Peoples
- Motivation Boosting
- Permission to Unplug: The Health Benefits of Yoga for Kids
- The Cultural Significance of Diwali: A Festival of Lights
- The Legacy of Steve Jobs
- Personality and Resilience: Coping with Adversity
- Benefits Of Writing Journals
- Gadgets for Productivity: Tools for Students
- Trade And Cultural Exchange Across Continents