Rain Water Harvesting- Importance & Types
Education News | May-25-2022
Rainwater harvesting is the method of accumulation and storage of water for use and not allowing it to run off. Rainwater can be collected from the rivers or the rooftop of the buildings. Rainwater can be redirected and stored in the following ways:
(2) Rainwater Recharge Shaft
(5) Percolation Tank
They are different types of rainwater harvesting it is classified as passive and active rainwater harvesting.
(1) Passive Rainwater Harvesting: In this type of rainwater harvesting the outdoor areas like gardens and driveways are sloped so that water is collected in the garden areas of the home.
(2) Active Rainwater Harvesting: It is also known as rooftop rainwater harvesting. Water is collected from the rooftop and stored.
Rooftop water can be stored in the following ways:
(1) Rainwater can be collected in a rain barrel a tap is installed on the rain barrel so that water can be directly used.
(2) A large lesson can be installed as it can hold a large volume of water.
(3) Install a rain chain direct from the roof to the underground tank. Rainwater can be directed to the water table in recharge trenches and pits. The water reaches the porous layer of the soil and percolates into the water table.
The popular filters use for the rainwater harvesting are:
(1) Charcoal Filter: It comprises sand, gravel, and charcoal.
(2) Sand Filter: It is made with layers of sand, gravel, and rocks.
(3) PVC Pipe Filter: It comprises differently size pipes.
(4) Sponge Filter: The water passes through three layers of sponge and sand.
By: Harjas Kaur Matta
St Marks Senior Secondary School
- The Impact Of Climate Change On Wildlife
- The Importance Of Physical Literacy In Modern Education
- The Silk Road: Traders Of The Ancient World
- The Role Of Drama Education In Developing Empathy & Social Skills
- Trade Tariffs & Economic Sanction
- Education Reforms In A Post-Pandemic World
- Modernization & Noise Pollution
- 3D Eye Scans Spot Early Parkinson’s Disease Sign
- The Role Of Virtual Reality In Enhancing Science Education
- Teaching Students About Student Loans & Debt Management