A New Method for Better Gender Determination in Asparagus
Editorials News | Nov-07-2017
The genome of garden asparagus as a model for sex chromosome evolution has been sequenced. Since a very long period of time origin and early evolution of gender chromosomes are a matter of discussion among scientists. The new research positively gives some justification about origin and early evolution of gender chromosomes.
Asparagus that are also called garden asparagus is a spring vegetable, a flowering perennial plant species in the Asparagus community. While it is seen that most flowering plants are hermaphrodites, garden asparagus plants are typically either male (XY) or female (XX). However, after a long research YY "super-males" asparagus can be produced in the greenhouse. Farmers of asparagus prefer all-male plants, as they have longer life span and do not self-seed. Breeders produce all-male XY seed by crossing an XX female, with YY super-male. Until now the differences between asparagus X and Y chromosomes were not known to its breeders and they were unable to differentiate XY males from YY super-males without wasting their time in lengthy test.
Through this research genetic markers were identified that allowed breeders to successfully distinguish XY males from YY males and then use those YY males to produce all-male seeds. Flowering plants like asparagus, however, have separate sexes and gender chromosomes that help in applying breeding programs. Identification of gender determination genes in asparagus will now allow scientists to produce plants with male, female and bisexual flowers, and elite hybrid seed.
By- Anita Aishvarya
- Age Well, Think Well: Nurturing Brain Health as We Age
- Mood Matters: Insights into Mood Disorders and Treatment
- Exploring the Relationship between Diet, Nutrients, and Immune Function
- Exploring the Fascinating World of Plant Science
- Examining Its Effects on Global Development
- Strategies for Encouraging Political Participation and Activism
- Art Market Trends: Analysis of Auctions, Galleries, and Collectors
- Examining Themes of Existence, Freedom, and Absurdity
- Legal Implications, Digital Citizenship, and Responsible Online Behavior
- Cultural Impact of Major Sporting Events: Case Studies and Analysis
Most popular news
- The Law Of Equivalent Exchange
- Essay On Issues And Challenges Of Rural Development In India
- Srinivasa Ramanujan And His Inventions
- The Youth Is The Hope Of Our Future!
- Poverty In India: Facts, Causes, Effects And Solutions
- Top 20 Outdoor Games In India
- Festivals Of India: Unity In Diversity
- Role Of Women In Society
- The Impact Of Peer Pressure On Students' Academic Performance
- Books As Companion