CAPTIVE- A DEVICE FOR MANIPULATING 3D VIRTUAL OBJECTS
Editorials News | Jun-18-2017
A device called CAPTIVE has been developed by the researchers at North Carolina State University for manipulating 3D virtual objects in a computer program. It is an inexpensive, user-friendly controller offering 6 degrees of freedom. It facilitates the users to more quickly manipulate objects than current technologies. It has applications in design tools, medical diagnosis and video gaming.
It uses only three elements viz., a webcam which is present in most laptops and smartphones, custom software, and a simple plastic cube.
At each corner, the plastic cube which has differently colored balls, resembling a Tinkertoy, is created using a 3-D printer. When a user manipulates the cube, the webcam captures the image. Then, the video recognition software detects the cube’s movements in three dimensions by following the way each colored ball moves with respect to others.
The researchers carried out a set of standard experiments to test CAPTIVE’s efficiency, and discovered that it allows users to rotate objects in 3D about twice faster than that of competing technologies.
"Basically, there's no latency; no detectable lag time between what the user is doing and what they see on screen," said a researcher.
- Age Well, Think Well: Nurturing Brain Health as We Age
- Mood Matters: Insights into Mood Disorders and Treatment
- Exploring the Relationship between Diet, Nutrients, and Immune Function
- Exploring the Fascinating World of Plant Science
- Examining Its Effects on Global Development
- Strategies for Encouraging Political Participation and Activism
- Art Market Trends: Analysis of Auctions, Galleries, and Collectors
- Examining Themes of Existence, Freedom, and Absurdity
- Legal Implications, Digital Citizenship, and Responsible Online Behavior
- Cultural Impact of Major Sporting Events: Case Studies and Analysis
Most popular news
- The Law Of Equivalent Exchange
- Essay On Issues And Challenges Of Rural Development In India
- Srinivasa Ramanujan And His Inventions
- The Youth Is The Hope Of Our Future!
- Poverty In India: Facts, Causes, Effects And Solutions
- Top 20 Outdoor Games In India
- Festivals Of India: Unity In Diversity
- Role Of Women In Society
- The Impact Of Peer Pressure On Students' Academic Performance
- Books As Companion