Coronavirus & Human Genetics: Why Do Cases of Covid Vary?

Editorials News | Mar-14-2023

Coronavirus & Human Genetics: Why Do Cases of Covid Vary?

Within the human genome, there are numerous and highly diverse genes involved in the response to infection. Some are on the X chromosome, which may explain why males, who only have one copy of the X chromosome, are more susceptible to COVID-19 infection than females, who have two copies. At least some of the differences in how people respond to coronavirus infection could be explained by genetic variations in the immune system and other parts of the genome. They might also help to explain the differences in how COVID-19 patients respond to treatments. The majority of people with COVID-19 only have mild symptoms, but a small number will have severe or life-threatening symptoms. One of the puzzles of the COVID-19 pandemic is the reason why some healthy young people become so ill, even though some of the differences can be explained by higher risk factors like older age or underlying health conditions. The human genome could hold some answers. The body's instruction manual is the genome, which contains all the information necessary to create, care for, and repair an individual. The majority of human cells contain a copy of it. DNA, which we inherit from our parents, is what makes it up.

Genes in the genome can function independently, but they are more likely to cooperate, much like orchestral instruments. Additionally, they are a part of the environment. For instance, exposure to sunlight increases the activity of genes responsible for protecting the skin from UV light damage.
The genomes of any two people are approximately 99.9% identical; The remaining 0.1 percent is what sets them apart.

By : Nitin Sangwan
Anand School for Excellence

Upcoming Webinars

View All